How your gynecologist in the Upper East Side can help with perimenopause
Perimenopause is the time in a woman’s life that comes right before menopause. During this point, the body begins to adjust to menopause (the time at which the reproductive process ends), which often causes some women to experience some unpleasant symptoms.
Here at the Upper East Side office of your gynecologist, Dr. Laura Corio, we offer a wide range of gynecological and obstetric services to help with this stage of life—read on to learn what we can do to help you too!
More about Perimenopause
Perimenopause can begin at different ages, with many women experiencing it in their 40s with declining estrogen levels and irregular periods. Some women even begin perimenopause in their 30s.
In addition to irregular periods, you may be experiencing signs and symptoms of menopause as your estrogen levels fluctuate. These signs and symptoms can include:
- Night sweats
- Hot flashes
- Vaginal and skin dryness
- Thinning hair
- Loss of breast fullness
- Sleep problems and mood swings
- A slower metabolism leading to weight gain
If you are experiencing any of these signs and symptoms, chances are that you are entering perimenopause. Dr. Corio can offer several effective therapies you can try at home to get relief from your symptoms. She may suggest:
- Changing your diet and avoiding alcohol, caffeine, and spicy foods to limit hot flashes
- Increasing your water intake to help keep tissues hydrated
- Using moisturizers and vaginal lubricants to keep skin soft and supple
- Practicing meditation and relaxation exercises to help you sleep
- Increasing your activity level and quitting smoking
She may also suggest professional treatments including:
- Medications to prevent osteoporosis
- Antidepressants to help with mood swings
- Vaginal estrogen cream to reduce vaginal dryness
- Hormone therapy to reduce hot flashes and night sweats
Need Relief? Give Us a Call
If you have entered perimenopause, you don’t have to deal with the symptoms all by yourself—your gynecologist can help. For more information about perimenopause symptoms and treatment, call the Upper East Side office of Dr. Laura Corio today by dialing (646) 422-0730.