Find out why every woman should come in for annual women’s wellness checkups.
Preventive medical care is the most effective way that patients can protect themselves from developing a variety of illnesses and issues. Furthermore, regular preventive care means that our Upper East Side OBGYN, Dr. Laura Corio, is able to detect problems early on when they are easier to treat. If it’s your first time visiting a gynecologist for care, you may be wondering what to expect and why these visits are so important for all women. Here’s what you should know:
When should a woman start visiting a gynecologist for routine checkups?
Often times, a young girl will begin visiting a gynecologist between the ages of 13 and 18. While some girls may choose to exclusively see their pediatrician, there are certain issues that only our Upper East Side gynecologist can address including:
- Delayed puberty
- Issues with menstrual cycles (including heavy or painful periods)
- Contraceptive needs or sexual health problems
The first gynecologist visit is a chance for our doctor to get to know our younger patients and provide them with the care they need. Many times a physical examination is not even necessary. We will talk with the young woman and answer any questions she might have about her developing body, birth control, sexuality, and menstruation. We can also provide them with helpful advice during this time.
What happens during a routine OBGYN visit?
There are several things that will occur during your annual well-women visit, including,
- A review of your medical history
- A discussion of any issues that you are having
- A physical exam, including an internal pelvic exam to look for inflammation, pain, or other issues with the uterus, ovaries, or fallopian tubes
- A pap smear, during which our gynecologist uses a brush-like instrument to take some cells from the cervix to check for pre-cancer or cancer cells.
Why are these gynecology checkups so important?
These checkups are crucial for all women because this preventive checkup could protect against certain problems or conditions. Furthermore, we can also detect issues early on when they are much easier to treat. During your checkup, we can screen for,
- Bladder disease
- Bone disease
- Sexually transmitted diseases
- Breast, uterine, and cervical cancer
We can also provide women with contraceptive materials and educate them on safe-sex practices as well as answer any questions that they may have about their reproductive health.
Give us a call!
If it’s time to schedule your next annual gynecology appointment, then call our Upper East Side office at (646) 422-0730. Make health your number one priority!