Knowing how to best manage your symptoms will help make the transition into menopause much easier.
Every woman goes through menopause. Of course, some women seem to breeze right through it without any trouble while other women suffer from severe night sweats, mood swings, headaches and a variety of other issues due to hormonal imbalances. If you are experiencing symptoms of menopause that are affecting your daily life it’s time to talk to our Dr. Laura Corio, MD OBGYN about ways to help get your symptoms under control.
It’s good to know that most of the time your menopause symptoms can be managed with simple lifestyle changes. Here are some options that could help:
If you suffer from hot flashes…
- Avoid spicy foods, alcohol or caffeine, which can trigger a hot flash
- Opt for a fan to help with hot flashes at home or while in the office
- Talk to your Dr. Laura Corio, MD gynecologist about whether menopausal hormone therapy could help alleviate your night sweats
- Sometimes medication can be prescribed to help with hot flashes (just ask us!)
If you are having difficulty sleeping…
- Try to exercise more regularly, which can improve your quality of sleep
- Do not drink caffeine after noon
- Make sure your bedroom is promoting good sleep. It should be a comfortable temperature, quiet and dark
- Power down electronics about one hour before bed
- Don’t eat a large meal late at night or right before bed
- Skip naps during the day
- Try to get on a sleep schedule where you go to bed and get up the same time each day
If you are experiencing vaginal dryness…
- You can try an over-the-counter lubricant or vaginal moisturizer
- And it’s severe or isn’t resolved through over-the-counter methods talk to us about prescription creams or other treatment options like menopausal hormone therapy
If you are having trouble with mood swings…
- Make sure you are getting enough sleep every day
- Exercise regularly, which can boost endorphins and improve your mood
- Talk to us about ways to help better manage your stress levels
- See a therapist or consider joining a support group
- Talk to us if you are experiencing depression, anxiety or other symptoms that are affecting your daily life
In some cases menopausal hormone therapy is a great way to alleviate a lot of the common symptoms of menopause, but this treatment isn’t right for everyone and could actually increase your chances of certain health conditions. This is why it’s always a good idea to talk to us about the pros and cons of hormone therapy.
Menopause doesn’t have to be a challenging time. Our Dr. Laura Corio, MD gynecologists can help make it easier with a variety of different treatment options including hormone therapy. If you want to find out if hormone therapy is right for you then it’s time to schedule an appointment to learn more.
Welcome to the Blog of Dr. Laura Corio, MD
Dr. Laura Corio, MD would like to welcome you to our blog. Here you will find informative and useful postings about your health and our practice.
At Dr. Laura Corio, MD we believe that educated patients are better prepared to make decisions regarding their overall health and wellbeing. Our blog was designed to provide you with valuable health care information, the latest medical developments and health advice from our dedicated team.
Dr. Laura Corio, MD hopes you find our blog to be a great resource for keeping up to date with proper health care and treatments.
We welcome all comments and questions.
-- Dr. Laura Corio, MD
This website includes materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary rights. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use, as defined in the copyright laws, requires the written permission of the copyright owners.